Follow by Email

Sunday, 10 May 2009

Back for repair

Sunday 26th April Another beautiful day but we are stopped waiting a decision about our failed oil seal, still the Grand Prix from Dubai was interesting and I had a pleasant walk to Wilton Locks chandlery to collect Sunday papers. On our wander down there on Saturday we noticed a boat named Encharnted and wondered who the funny spelling. On Sunday I saw the owner and asked, but he had only bought the boat so named and wondered if it was the signwriter’s error, but thought not as both sides are the same, so he thinks the boatyard may have given the wrong spelling to the signwriter. I can’t understand why the owner of the boat paid for the job being done if the spelling was wrong, any ideas?

Other little bits were done to the boat, including laundry and the preparation of the front deck for a repaint, but it was lovely to sit down and read the news and prepare for Monday and decisions. I had already sent an email with photos of the problems to the marina and called first thing to make sure that it was opened & the pictures printed and passed to Mike, who rang me around 10. He said he needed the serial number as stamped on the drive motor, and that he was going to speak to Steve. The number, of course, was on the underside of the unit, but a mirror helped, and I phoned back to get the info to him. Whilst waiting for him to get back to me went onto Peachment’s (the makers) web site, to see if any exploded views were shown (no) and then rang them. They were surprised that the seal had gone in such a relatively short time, and then went through the procedure to get at the part. I asked whether they considered it would be OK for us to cruise the 10 hours back to the marina, and when they said this would be fine, we set off at 1pm.

Monday morning had been wet, but shortly after we set off the rain stopped, but it was far from warm. Our passage up Watford locks was quick, we met no-one in Crick tunnel, which was still very wet, filled with water at Edwards, and then the heavens opened! I sent Carol below as there was no point in 2 of us getting wet, but in fact the umbrella, jacket & hat kept me dry and we cruised on. The weather improved later, though still cool and we cruised on until 7.30 when we stopped in another pretty spot.

Tuesday dawned cool and overcast with rain forecast, but in fact it held off until nightfall where we were. We cruised on steadily, past these lovely bluebells.

We went straight into Foxton flight, Carol with another ice cream ( I was busy working locks so couldn’t lick ) and we arrived back at Debdale by 2pm. I reported into the office, had a few words about pulley sizes, and dived below the deck to start dismantling and found a belt had come adrift again! I got bolts loose and the drive shaft uncoupled before Steve arrived with some larger kit for splitting the drive from the thrust bearing. With it all off and in pieces and cleaned out eventually we felt the thrust bearing because something had caused the grease to overheat, and we do not cruise at great speed. We are not sure but Steve thought the bearing might be a bit rough, so I decided to blow another £100 on a new one, better sure than sorry. Still waiting news on the alternator pulleys and belt problems.

Wednesday Busy day away from the boat, Carol had her hair permed, I visited the doc, then off collecting post plus a piece of clothing Carol needs for later in the month. Can’t recall all we did, but we were out from before 9 till after 5. Got back to find nothing fixed back on the boat, but was told a new drive pulley was being sent. It seems everything fitted was supplied by engine manufacturer, it’s just that they have made few of our engine/alternator package and don’t know what they supplied. The new pulley was being locally sourced but had not arrived.

Thursday another busy day for us, including re-provisioning but first interesting bit at Matilda Blue and her Australian owners were loaded up on a lorry first thing to be-floated in Holland prior to their cruise through Belgium & France. We were interested in this as it is something we hope to do. Set off to get our tasks done and got back to find drive unit fitted but that alternator pulley that came was useless. They refitted the originals & used narrower belts, but have ordered in a set of poly-V pulleys for fitting in the Autumn, or sooner if we ruin these belts. The only thing left now was our alarm system. This was fitted years ago, but no sensors installed. It works thro mobile phone text messaging, but we needed to see the supplier who is a South African who moors in Debdale. We were supposed to meet on the K&A last summer as they were supposedly coming round from Sharpness to Bristol, but never made it. He was due to see us today but…..

Friday A bright sunny morning, suddenly Bill arrived about the alarm. He said he had to get a couple of bits and arranged that he would catch up with us on Sunday…………….So………….

No comments: